Thursday, January 24, 2013

Don't Knock It 'til You Try It!


Raw Brussels Sprouts. Yep, that's what I'm suggesting you eat. Believe it or not, they're delicious! I normally half them, throw them in a pan with salt, pepper, olive oil, onions, garlic and some good ol' bacon. Then I bake them high and fast, finish them with a squeeze of lemon juice, and they're great! Well, one day I had them in a pan with just olive oil, salt and pepper, getting ready to add the other ingredients and thought, "What the heck?" And I ate one raw, and couldn't believe how good they were! So here's my new recipe for Raw Brussels Sprouts.

Ingredients:

1 pound fresh Brussels Sprouts, quartered (trim the ends first)
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
Juice from one large lemon
1/2 t. Sriracha (any pepper sauce you like will do)
1 t. salt (better make it a rounded teaspoon)
1/2 t. ground black pepper




Directions:

- In a bowl with a lid, combine all of the ingredients, except the sprouts. Whisk them until they become a homogeneous mixture. 
- Throw in the sprouts, put on the lid and shake it like a Polaroid picture. (The container, I mean. Or whatever you feel like shaking.)
- Serve 'em up! Couldn't be easier! (The longer they sit in the dressing, the better they taste!)


Raw Brussels Sprouts


Now, if you still can't get past the fact that they're raw, cook them! I actually ate them both ways with the same dressing. After I cooked a chicken breast for dinner, I left the drippings in the pan and tossed in the remaining Brussels Sprouts. Holy mackerel, they were delicious. I ate the leftovers for lunch today, and I think they were even better the second day! Just try them. You'll like them.




  
Pan-seared Brussels Sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment